On Friday, I met up with a few friends (including some of the folks over at Geek Panda Apparel) to spectate one of the biggest eSports events this year: League of Legends World Championship Series Finals. Of course, I had to make food for this… Admittedly, I was severely over ambitious on this task, but with a little help (ok, a lot of help), I managed to finish making all of the food.
Luckily, I arrived to the party just in time to watch the first match!
There were some pretty crazy plays made by both SK Telecom T1 and Royal Club, but ultimately, the more coordinated team won. Hopefully, these players’ strategies and champion picks will inspire all players!
For the party, I created three different recipes, with each recipe representing a different champion. The champions I’ve chosen are Ahri, Amumu and Caitlyn.
I had to put Cait on the list because she’s literally the only ADC I play in ranked. I have a large champ pool, obviously.
For the 9-tailed fox, Ahri, I’ve created Ahri’s Charmed Onigiri.
Stun your guests with this savory treat!
For the sad mummy, Amumu, I’ve created Amumu’s Shrimp Lettuce Wraps.
Get wrapped up in these flavors!
And finally, for Sheriff of Piltover, Caitlyn, it had to be Caitlyn’s Yordle Snap Trap Cupcakes.
Get trapped in this sinfully sweet treat!
Let’s start cooking, summoners!
UNIT COMPOSITION: AHRI’S CHARMED ONIGIRI
- 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce
- 1/2 lb of ground turkey
- 1/4 of pickled beets & cabbage
- 1 cup of sushi rice
Tools: You need will heart shaped onigiri mold.
Unfortunately, Amazon doesn’t carry the exact mold I used. However, you can use a heart shaped cookie cutter instead. You’ll need to sandwich the mold between two flat surfaces (such as a small cutting board) in order to squish the rice and fillings together.
BUILD ORDER: AHRI’S CHARMED ONIGIRI
Prep time is about 20 minutes. Cook time is roughly 30 minutes. This should make about 6 servings.
Calories per serving: ~105 calories
- Boil your rice. Once your rice has cooked, fluff the rice with a fork (if you have a rice scoop, even better) and transfer to a large bowl. Fan your rice for a few minutes while fluffing.
- Put a skillet on high heat and add your olive oil. When the oil comes up to temperature, add your ground turkey. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in your teriyaki sauce and stir it through the meat. Allow it to cook for at least 10 minutes or until done. Allow the meat to cool slightly.
- Add your sesame seeds to the rice. Pour about 1 tablespoon of the vinegar from your pickled beets and cabbage onto your rice. Stir to combine. If the color isn’t bright enough, continue to add more.
- Place a spoonful of rice into your mold. Use the spoon to create a small impression into the rice. Fill the space with meat and pickled beets and cabbage. Place another layer of rice over the fillings and squish the mold.
- Remove the onigiri from the mold.
UNIT COMPOSITION: AMUMU’S LETTUCE WRAPS
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1 tablespoon of coriander
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon of ground ginger
- juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- 1 can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and strained
- 1 golden delicious apple, cut into thin slices
- 1 lb of shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 head of iceburg lettuce, leaves removed
Total prep time for this is about 15 minutes. Cook time is roughly 10 minutes. This will make about 6 servings.
Calories per serving: ~158 calories
- Season shrimp with salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, garlic powder, and ginger.
- Set a skillet to high heat and add oil. Once the oil comes up to temperature, saute the shrimp. Add in the lemon juice.
- Cut the apple into thin slices. If you don’t want the apples to oxidize (meaning they turn brown when exposed to air), you may want to squeeze a bit lemon juice over them.
- Place the chickpeas and apples in a lettuce leaf. Add in the shrimp (remove the tails). Wrap the lettuce leaf up like a burrito.
UNIT COMPOSITION: CAITLYN’S YORDLE SNAP TRAP CUPCAKES
FOR THE CUPCAKES
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extra
- 2 tablespoons of baking powder
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- zest from 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons of grated ginger (you can use ginger powder instead)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cups of sugar
- 1 3/4 cups of flour
FOR THE FROSTING
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons of the juice from maraschino cherries
- 12 maraschino cherries
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 pint of heavy whipping cream
BUILD ORDER: CAITLYN’S YORDLE SNAP TRAP CUPCAKES
Prep time is roughly 30 minutes. Cook time for the cupcakes is about 20 minutes. This will make 12 servings. (1 serving is 1 cupcake)
Calories per serving: ~325 calories
- Preheat your oven to 350° F (~176° C)
- Combine all of your dry ingredients (flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder) in a large bowl.
- Add your lemon zest and ginger to the dry ingredients.
- Beat two eggs and add your vanilla to the eggs.
- Pour the eggs and vanilla over the dry ingredients. Add in your butter and stir.
- Slowly pour in your milk while stirring to combine thoroughly.
- Pour batter into cupcake linings.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until done.
- Remove from oven and let cool. While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the whipped cream frosting.
- Combine heavy whipping cream, sugar, vanilla, and maraschino cherry juice in a large bowl. Whip with a whisk, or hand mixer, until stiff peaks form in the whipping cream.
- Pour whipping cream into a piping bag (or large ziplock bag). Snip the end of the piping bag and pipe the frosting over the cupcakes. You’ll want to create swirls on the cupcakes.
- Once you’re done piping, add a cherry to each of the cupcakes.
Hope you’ve enjoyed these recipes. Tune in next time for another recipe and another game!
See you on the Fields of Justice, Summoners.